Friday, February 18, 2011

Zita the Spacegirl

Title: Zita the Spacegirl
Author: Ben Hatke
Level: grades 2- 5
Location: Graphic Novel J Zita - Indian River is the only branch that currently owns this title

Zita finds something in a meteoriod and accidentally causes her friend to be kidnapped- to another planet. She bravely sends herself through space only to find the planet she arrives at is going to explode from an asteroid in three days! Can she make it through the rusted wastes alive and in time to save her friend from his captors? There are plenty of creatures who want to stop her from menacing robot spiders to screeds and Heavily Armored Mobile Battle Orbs. Will they make it back to Earth ok?

Bottom Line: A quick read with plenty of robots and odd creatures. The panels are easy to follow with the exception of one page. Good color and detailed backgrounds that create feeling. I took this book to my Goddaughter in first grade. She was able to read most of it on her own or use the pictures for help while I was there. She asked me to leave it so she could read it again and was excited when I said I would. She thought it was cool. Her sister in fourth grade also read the book and agreed that is was good and wanted to know if there would be another book about Zita. I agree with them. I hope to meet Zita again somewhere in space.
http://www.graphicnovelreporter.com/content/spacing-out-interview-ben-hatke-interview

No comments:

Post a Comment